Friday 18 October 2013

Words Once Spoken by Carly Drake

Title: Words Once Spoken
Author: Carly Drake
ISBN: 9780857990822
Publisher: Harlequin Australia
Publish Date: October 2013

Synopsis:

Evelyn might not love the confines of her village life, but she takes her small freedoms where she can get them. But everything changes when her parents decide it’s time for her to wed. Suddenly she loses her tunic and breeches, her bow, her horse, and gains rigid gowns, restrictive manners, and carriage rides.


The best way to escape is through her dreams, but as they become more and more real, Evelyn begins to worry that she is losing her grasp on reality. It is only when she makes two new friends that the truth is revealed: she is destined for far, far more than even she could imagine.

My Thoughts:

The stunning cover of this book captured me immediately and the synopsis offered a wonderful adventure. I was so excited starting this book and fell in love with Evelyn in the first few chapters. She is a strong-willed and resourceful main character who knows exactly what she wants. But as much as I enjoyed these first few chapters I soon began to find myself frustrated and confused.

The pacing of the story is fast, so fast in fact that it rushes through the last half of the story at lightning speed leaving me wondering what exactly was going on. With some of the crucial moments rushed through, I found myself less invested in the story and losing track of who was who and even what they were supposed to be doing, to the point where I found myself having to go back and re-read parts, making it a rather frustrating read.
It seemed to settle down a little towards the end, only to reveal a plot twist that left the ending unresolved.

Overall Words Once Spoken had a solid base and so much potential, but the rushed pacing and short length left it lacking.

Thanks to Harlequin Australia and Netgalley for the ARC.

No comments:

Post a Comment